Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Funny Farm

Fall brings out all kinds of instincts in me. I tend to want to nest, to bake, and to do craft projects. I love to be snuggled up in a blanket and sipping tea while visiting with loved ones or watching television. Every year around this time I always crave a certain movie to watch that makes me feel homey: Funny Farm with Chevy Chase.

I can't really explain why I desire to watch it every year, it's not particularly remarkable. It's about a sports writer from Manhattan who, along with his wife, buy a house in the country so he can write Great American Novel and they can start a family. Naturally, being a Chevy Chase movie things go terribly wrong - think National Lampoon's Vacation movies - and they discover the hardships of living in the small town of Red Bud. I am not a country girl, I am not a city girl either; but this movie makes me feel cozy. I love their little house, I love the property the house sits on, I love the gazebo in the middle of town. Yup, I am a sucker for that sort of thing: an idyllic existence. It makes me want to run a quaint inn in Vermont or something. Or at least stay in one.

This year I became somewhat fixated on trying to find this movie on DVD and buying it so I could watch it whenever I want. Boy was I glad that I found a new copy for $5.99 at Sam Goody; I didn't want to hash out twenty bucks for something filmed in 1988! I am pleased to say that I have already watched the movie while sitting on the couch, sipping hot tea and crocheting scarves.

In a month and a half I imagine I will be doing the same thing, but to a different movie with Chevy Chase: Christmas Vacation. A holiday classic!

No comments: