Friday, December 5, 2008

Five Christmas Songs That I Love the Most

1. O Holy Night - Nat King Cole

Originally this song was a poem written by French poet Placide Cappeau. I love it not only because of the quiet and dramatic moments of the score, but the words are truly beautiful. With lyrics like''Til He appear'd and the soul felt its worth." and "Fall on your knees! O, hear the angels' voices!" I can't help but be moved. It places emphasis on the birth of Jesus and the meaning of that miraculous event for sinners of the world. Nat King Cole's voice is smooth and sweet, making it my favorite song of the season.


2. Carol of the Bells - George Winston

I love this song when a choir performs it, but my favorite version is done in piano. George Winston is a pianist that I have had the privilege of seeing perform live. He is a staple in my household and this version of the Ukrainian Bell Carol is energetic and conjures us so many memories for me.


3. Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree - Brenda Lee

This song is so much fun. I think I like it so much because it has that classic 1950s sound - it was recorded in 1958 - and just makes me want to dance. In fact as I listen to it in the car you might find me bopping along to it. It also makes me want to go ice skating for some inexplicable reason.


4. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - Judy Garland

This song was introduced in the film Meet Me in St. Louis - a film I haven't actually seen. There is something comforting about hearing "Dorothy" singing a sentimental Christmas tune. Her voice is legend and in my opinion this is the best version of this song.


5. I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas - Bing Crosby

Bing Crosby is a Christmas must in our house. To me he sounds like Christmas. His voice is rich and comforting and it just makes me want to curl up by the fire and knit when I hear it. Of course this song is performed in the classic film, White Christmas, and epitomizes that old Christmas feeling.



Bing Crosby

No comments: