Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Serenity Now!

Have you ever had one of those days when you try to hold it together but all you want to do is run outside screaming? Today was like that for me. I am not complaining, it was actually a perfectly fine day, but very busy and at times overwhelming.

I think what made it such a challenging morning was the fact that my 21 month old son does not walk. In fact the greater part of my morning was taken up by having him evaluated by Early Childhood Intervention to see if they can figure out why he doesn't walk. Do you catch the irony here? I have to cart him around everywhere and he is heavy! My poor Fibromyalgic muscles can only take so much. Unfortunately we may not find out the results of the evaluation until after we meet with the physical therapist.

After picking up my daughter from school I took the kids to Wal-Mart ... that did nothing to help my already fragile state.

When arriving home I had to brace myself for the absolute chaos that occurs the moment I walk in the door. My son starts crying because he saw the box of Goldfish crackers I bought and is hungry. My daughter immediately starts asking for lunch. The dog is barking, as she always is; and the cat made a dookie in her litter that is so rank it could clear the neighborhood! And that was just this morning.

On days like this I think of that one episode of Seinfeld where George Costanza's dad, Frank, is advised to say "serenity now" aloud every time his blood pressure is in danger of going up, but he yells it instead.

Here and now I will try this relaxation method ... SERENITY NOW!

Seinfeld - Frank Costanza shouting "Serenity now!"

Yeah, I don't think it helped.

No comments: