Wednesday, March 11, 2009

There Will Be Cake

Right now I am making a list ... a list for a two year-old's birthday party. I can't help but feel a little choked up at the thought that my baby is going to be two - the defining age where my baby no longer is a baby.

I am thinking I will do cupcakes this year. Disney Cars cupcakes! Last year I made quite a fancy cake, a dome shaped cake that looked like Mickey Mouse. It was a three layer cake made in both round cake pans and a stainless steel mixing bowl to acheive that dome shape. The ears were cardboard, covered in foil and frosted in black.


I designed this cake myself and I think it turned out pretty well. Hint: if you plan to make black frosting, start with chocolate frosting as a base! You will use a lot of black food coloring.
This year I think I will go easy on myself and do something simple as I have a habit to bite off more than I can chew (pun intended). Cupcakes with be much easier and kids and adults LOVE them! I'll be sure to post photos after the big day.

3 comments:

Zil said...

That Mickey Mouse cake was spectacular! It seemed destructive to eat it! I

Kelly said...

I agree it did seem destructive to eat it. That's why I had T cut the cake, I couldn't bear to do it myself after all that hard work!

PeePaw said...

I wish I could be there for J's party! Tell him I Love him!

Yes, the MM cake was spectacular! I am sure the CARS cupcakes will be too!