Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Chez Kelly


I've never been to Paris, but when I do go (and I will go) I plan to head out for a night at a local bistro. I like hearty dishes and casual dining. So, last night I made my own bistro-style meal and ate it at my own table. It was VERY casual, it always is with children. I didn't bother with the white table linens or candlelight, but I did use my Dansk Bistro dishes and white ramekins to get the experience.

We had homemade French Dip sandwiches and garlicky mashed potatoes. Milk for the kids and Cabernet Sauvignon for the adults. We gathered at the table and talked about our day. Watching my son try to eat the au jus with a fork was interesting; and I could have done without my daughter complaining that she didn't like potatoes; but all in all it was a nice meal together.

To anyone who has a crock pot and is non-vegetarian, here is an amazing French Dip recipe you must try:


French Dip Sandwiches with Au Jus

1 rump roast (about 4 lbs)

1 10.5 oz can beef broth
1 10.5 oz can French Onion soup

1 12 oz bottle of beer

French rolls or stadium rolls

butter

garlic salt

sliced provolone cheese


I like to start cooking my meat the night before. Trim excess fat and place in crock pot with a little bit of water and a dash of Worcestershire sauce. Allow to cook overnight. In the morning, remove the water from the crock pot and add in the broth, soup and beer. Cook on low for 7 hours.
(WARNING: the smell of this cooking with make your mouth water the whole day!)

To prepare for sandwiches, take out the meat and place on a cutting board. The roast should be falling apart, no need for slicing. Double strain the au jus to remove bits and ladle into ramekins.

When ready to assemble sandwiches, open up the rolls and spread on butter and garlic salt (I use California garlic salt). Place under the broiler on low for a few minutes until bread browns and butter melts. Add shredded meat to the rolls, top with sliced provolone and place back under the broiler, open faced, until cheese melts. Cut sandwiches in half diagonally and serve with au jus. Then sit back and listen to all of the oooohhhhhs and aaaahhhhhs.


My husband tried one bite of his sandwich and asked me to marry him again. That's how good it is!

No comments: