Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Orange Month

This is the first day of my favorite month of the year. To me, October is unlike any other month, right down to its smell. And strangely, I always think of it as "The Orange Month". Today I was able to enjoy a chilly October morning by taking a walk with my son through the park. Together we collected acorns, breathed in the cool foggy air, and made footprints in the frosty grass.

The celebration didn't stop there.


We sipped Starbucks - a Pumpkin Spice latte for me and a hot chocolate for him - and wiped whipped cream off our noses. We carefully selected a "Fairytale" pumpkin for our front yard, and plan to decorate the house later today for Autumn. I painted my fingernails a deep purple, and I am feeling cozy in my favorite cashmere sweater. All in all, today has been a lovely dream.

This type of pumpkin is actually called a "Fairytale" pumpkin. It looks like it would have had a happy home in the pumpkin patch in Cinderella. It is a muted orange with gray in the creases and actually looks hand painted. The perfect start to the Autumn season!

2 comments:

Anna said...

That is a gorgeous pumpkin.

Is it weird that I kind of want to live in it??

Kelly said...

Not weird at all! It would be cute with little windows cut out of it.

It makes me think of the "Peter, Peter Pumpkin Eater" nursery rhyme.