Sunday, June 27, 2010

A Simple Solution

A few weeks ago I posted about a new idea for simple tabletop decor.  And it would seem that the key limes have reached their aesthetic peak ... but is it possible to squeeze out a little more joy?  YES!

 

Armed with a knife and my own two hands, I set out to squeeze the juice from this tiny fruit.  They didn't produce much, but it was surprisingly simple to do.  I measured about 1/4 of juice when I was finished.  Figuring that wouldn't be enough for a key lime pie or major dessert, I decided to make a key lime simple syrup. 


Key Lime Simple Syrup

1/4 cup fresh key lime juice
1 1/4 cup fine sugar
1/4 cup water

In a small sauce pan, combine sugar and water and cook over medium heat, do not boil.  Whisk frequently to dissolve sugar.  Once sugar is dissolved, remove saucepan from heat and whisk in lime juice.  Store in glass jar in the refrigerator.


This makes a lot of sweet syrup.  So far I have enjoyed putting a scant teaspoon of it in my iced tea, and I think drizzling a bit of it on some pound cake sounds like a dreamy summer dessert.  What a way to get the most out of my $2.50 purchase!

2 comments:

Anna said...

Sheer brilliance! I must copy.

And speaking of brilliance ... that top shot ... Wow!

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

Simple summer perfection! What a great idea. And, your photos are beautiful (as usual!).