Thursday, October 28, 2010

A Seaside Surprise Part II

My recipe for the ideal weekend at the Oregon Coast is: dark and stormy weather, a hot cup of Earl Grey tea, and if I have the means, a good knitting project.  Substitute a wonderful surprise for the knitting and the ideal weekend is just what I had!

Seaside, Oregon is a hot vacation spot for many Portlanders.  There is a boardwalk along the beach; cute little shops, both commercial and local, fill the downtown area; and my kids' favorite destination was the Carousel Mall which had, as you might have guessed, a big carousel in the middle of a mall.  This provided great entertainment for the children and a warm and dry place out of the rain for the rest of us.

After a good ride on the carousel and some shopping, we headed back down to Cannon Beach for a family dinner at The Irish Table.  Wow.  I mean WOW!  I am in love with this place!  For me, eating out isn't just about how good the food tastes, but rather it is about an experience - and this place was quite the experience.  The lights were low, the tables were rustic, and the Irish music was lively.  The menu included many dishes such as Irish Stew, Steamed Mussels, Butternut Squash Soup with hazelnuts and baked pears, plus amazing desserts.  I had the Chicken Pastie, similar to chicken & dumplings but wrapped in a pillow of puff pastry.  The presentation was gorgeous and it was delicious!  I'm now inspired to make my own as well as some Irish Soda Bread to go with it.

The next morning we had a big family breakfast, one more ride on the carousel, and a short jaunt on the squally beach. 


We were literally at the coast for only 24 hours, but it was time well spent and one that I hope to make again very soon.

No comments: