Thursday, July 10, 2008

Blurb

As a graphic and web designer, I find that I spend a lot of time in front of the computer. So one would think that I would like scrapbooking to record my life's memories and get away from the digital world for a while. The truth is, I don't enjoy trimming, cutting, cropping or measuring. I wish I did, it would be a nice vacation from staring at a screen.

I have done some scrapbooking in the past, it is very popular with other moms I know. But I feel overwhelmed with the different papers and embellishments. I also hate to mess up – I guess I am just used to using the delete key or the “control+z” command - and I get disappointed if I cut something the wrong size or glue something down in the wrong place and can't undo it. Also it is very hard to find the time to just sit down and do a layout. A few years ago someone told me about MyPublisher. This free program is great for creating coffee table style books using personal photos. Since then I have made a paperback book every year chronicling our Christmas season complete with captions, and I even did a portfolio book for a client. This is basically my version of a scrapbook.

I have recently discovered a company that does the same thing but instead of a “coffee table book” they call it “bookstore-quality”. Blurb.com seems to have great layouts and options, you can make a wedding album, cook book, portfolio, a blog book, or any kind of photo book you want. Their layouts are modern and classic and the really cool thing is they have a bookstore where you can purchase books from regular people. They have everything from travel & nature to biographies & memoirs. One book I found to be absolutely stunning from the photography to the layout is Garden Culture by Magda Straszynska. If I decide to splurge and buy from this bookstore, it would probably be this book. But then again, I do plan to make a book of my own.

We will be going camping again this weekend, I may not make an entire book about our adventures at the lake, but I plan to add to the 20,000 photos of our kids that we have taken over the last four years. Perhaps we will take some book worthy shots.

1 comment:

Zil said...

20,000 photos! At that rate you are going to have to add a "server wing" to your house for storage before the kids graduate from high school.