Monday, July 7, 2008

A Day in Kelly's Life (the scented candle version)

I recently read in the June 2008 issue of Real Simple magazine, a witty and creative article written by Julianna Baggott. It was called “A Day in My Life (the scented-candle version)". I thought it was so fun and descriptive, I wanted do something like that to describe a day in my life. So, here goes...

7:11 a.m.
“Irish Spring and Colgate” A haunting blend of lingering morning shower and evidence that my husband kissed me on the cheek before leaving for work. An undertone of guilt that he wakes up at 5:30 a.m. and I don't, with a dash of delight that I don't have to get up that early.

8:05 a.m.
“Wake-up Kids” This earthy and organic fragrance is equal parts my daughter's sweaty head from a hot night's sleep and last night's sweet potatoes in my son's diaper. The sweet smell of joy on my kids faces when they see me, and the strong scent of urgency as I get them ready for the day.

8:24 a.m.
“The Laundry Room” Also home to an American Eskimo dog and 120 pound cat, the room fragrance can be described as the fresh scent of Gain, an undercurrent of dog breath and a light hint of kitty litter.

8:59 a.m.
“Arrive at Pre-School” This classic scent is a familiar blend of peanut butter, snotty noses, homemade play dough and the nearby children's lavatory. A concoction that will inevitably take you back to your own school days as a child.

10:32 a.m.
“Wal-Mart” Greasy and spicy. This corporate conglomerate cologne is the perfect brew of McDonald's Chicken McNuggets and the strong chemical expulsions from the in-store nail salon. Screams from untamed children and the strong desire to get what you need and get out, limit the possibility of shopping there again.

1:06 p.m.
“Nap Time” The kids are in bed, the aroma of relief fills the air! The scents of an overused vacuum cleaner with a burning rubber belt, household bleach, and a pending graphic design deadline all lend to this bouquet of limited freedom.

5:36 p.m.
“Pumping Iron” The gym's atmosphere is filled with the metallic combination of sweat, iron, rubber and determination. The strong but futile hope of a calorie and fat free BBQ bacon cheeseburger and fries, as the reward for doing 120 crunches and 30 minutes on the stationary bike, dwells in your psyche.

6:45 p.m.
“Dinnertime Panic” The panic stricken face of my husband after being home alone with the kids for less than an hour, combined with the desire to provide a healthy and satisfying dinner for a 33 year-old man, 4 year-old girl (with a very picky palette) and a 1 year-old boy without all of his teeth, gives off an intense fragrance of anxiety...and microwaved frozen pot pies.

7:37 p.m.
“N-night, B-bye”
The comfort of a snuggly baby boy and the wonder of a girl learning to read makes this fragrance a blend of sweetness and joy. The promise of a hot bubble bath, a bowl of rocky road ice cream, and a smile from my husband makes it for a very satisfying parfum de vie.

No comments: