Monday, September 22, 2008

Autumnal Splendor

Do you like the title of this post? I think it sounds like it should be a symphony or something. I also think it best describes the day ... the first day of Fall! I am sure I have mentioned before that my favorite season is Fall. The changing leaves, the cooler weather and trips to the pumpkin patch. Mmmmmm.

While writing this post I wanted to do it right. I am curled up on the couch with a blanket, I have a cup of steaming hot tea sitting on the table beside a lit "Mulled Harvest" candle, and my favorite movie - You've Got Mail - is on. The only thing that could make this moment even more perfect would be an overcast sky ... and a plate of pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting!

Even the drive to preschool this morning was wonderful. It was cold, there were patches of fog and we got to wear sweaters and jackets for the first time in months. The best part of it is that the frost last night killed off all of the nasty midges, and there are no longer black curtains of swarming bugs; it is now safe to wash my car.

My son and I quickly embraced the new season by wearing our toasty sweaters!
Fall always sends me back to my school days. I think of when I wore my Halloween costumes to Jefferson Elementary School. I remember my favorite tree with the orange leaves that I would walk by on my way to Art History class at Oregon State University. One of my fondest memories is from my freshman year at George Fox when I walked to my dorm from class, barefoot and in the pouring rain. Yup ... those were good times!

Hello, dear Fall ... you are very welcome here.

2 comments:

Zil said...

Maybe we can make pumpkin bars when I visit!

Kelly said...

Mmmmm, that's an excellent idea!