Tuesday, February 24, 2009

These Are a Few of My Favorite Things ...

I have felt it coming on for a couple of days now. It starts in my back, makes it's way to my head and eventually affects nearly every muscle in my body. Fibromyalgia is just awful. Plus my husband has been sick with a sinus infection for nearly a week now, and while it isn't contagious, I have been feeling a sore throat developing.

Everyone gets sick. But when you have Fibromyalgia AND you get sick, it is a hundred times worse. So, I thought I would focus on things that comfort me when I don't feel well. Little things that bring me pleasure in my time of pain. Souvenirs of special memories or enjoyable hobbies.



1. Wild Sweet Orange tea in my favorite poppy cup that I found at an antique mall. There were actually two, but I broke one. I hand wash this one with great care. I love the colors, the hand painted flowers, and the round handle that only allows one finger through (so I can stick out my pinky when I am feeling snooty).

2. The whimsy of the Le Creuset blueberry pot always brings a smile to my face when I see it on my kitchen counter. I store finely ground coffee in it for my cappuccino maker. It is a lovely shade of blue and matches many things in my kitchen.

3. Candles are a great way to calm me down. I love citrus scents (like this grapefruit and ginger candle), fig, spice fragrances in the fall, and anything that smells like fresh laundry.

4. There is nothing specifically special about my candy jar ... except that I make a point to keep it stocked with chocolate goodies. Right now it has Dove Dark Chocolate with Almonds and miniature Toblerone Dark Chocolate with Almonds and Nougat. I find great joy in reaching in the jar and pulling out a couple of chocolates in my moment of desperation ... which happens many times a day!

5. This Learn to Speak French book is a little treasure of mine that I picked up at Prize in Ashland. I love the worn red cover and that it is from the 1930s.

6. Also found in Ashland at an antique store, this tea caddy literally follows me all over the house because I consume a lot of tea. It is nice to put my soggy tea bag in such a beautiful silver pot.

7. My orchid is in full bloom! Kept on the ledge of my bathtub, it does very well in the humid conditions of my bathroom. This is the second time it has bloomed since I have had it and it is such a reward to see the happy pink faces smiling at me in the morning. I feel like a good plant mama!

8. There is something so comforting about seeing balls of yarn in a basket. They beg to be touched, to be woven into something beautiful. The colors and the textures call to me when I have a spare moment.

9. It hasn't been cleaned in some time. It is scuffed in places, and doesn't quite shine the way it used to. But I still LOVE my wedding ring. The triangle represents the three people in my marriage, God, my husband, and myself. It is a reminder that I made a promise nearly ten years ago and that same promise was made to me. For richer and for poorer ... in sickness and in health ...

1 comment:

heather said...

So sorry you aren't feeling well. That stinks. We are fighting colds here too, but i can imagine that with Fibromyalgia it is way, way worse.

I like your photos and favorite things.