Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Paris, Je T'aime!


When my husband is away, I see that as my opportunity to see as many chick flicks, old movies, or foreign films as I can. In the recent weeks, he got to go on an all boys camping trip while I got to catch up on my choice of entertainment.
Not one for going out to the nearest video store (we don't have one very close to our house anyway) I checked out what "Instant Play" movies Netflix had to offer. One caught my eye immediately! Perhaps it was the French title. Perhaps it was the word Paris. Perhaps it was the silhouette of the Tour d'Eiffel that made me swoon; in any case, I pressed "play" with great anticipation. And so began the film, "Paris, Je T'aime".
The premise of the film is it is a collection of stories of love, from the City of Love. It is actually 18 short films lasting only about 5 minutes each. Every film takes place in a different part of Paris, focusing on a love relationship of some kind, and each film is directed by a different director. I love this idea! Famous directors like Alexander Payne (Sideways), Gus Van Sant (Good Will Hunting), and the Coen Brothers (No Country for Old Men) all contributed, and I recognized more than a handful of the actors.
Some of the stories didn't have much of an impact on me, but others made me laugh or cry. Some made my heart break. Some made my eyes roll. Some left me with a feeling of joy. If you like something different and even a little artsy, I highly recommend this movie.
NOTE: there is some swearing, but for some reason the foul language seems less foul when spoken in French!

The one draw back to this movie is that it only made me desire to visit Paris even more! Not every story was happy or beautiful and I saw many unpleasant sides to the "City of Love", but I am firm my belief that the French capital is a special place. One that I am determined to see before I leave this Earth.

No comments: