Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Vintage Repro

This may sound strange, but here I am at the age of 33 and I was transported back in time to the age of 10, today. I discovered that Mattel has a "Vintage Repros" collection for Barbie that features dolls from the 1950s, 60s, 70s and 80s. Suddenly I was in the fifth grade again as I held a pink box in my hands and I reminisced about one of my favorite toys of all time: Barbie and the Rockers Barbie!

The year was 1986 and I don't remember how expensive a Barbie was back then, but to a 10 year-old it cost beaucoup bucks. I recall admiring this doll on the store shelf many-a-time and what was so cool about this Barbie, was that it came with a microphone and a cassette tape of The Rockers greatest tunes. I still remember the names of the other Rockers: Dana, Dee Dee, Derek and Diva too and I would sing along to their music.

Don't laugh ... I was 10!

Barbie had the coolest purple eyeshadow and blond curly locks. Her clothes were "truly outrageous",
oh wait, that's a Jem reference. I'm talking about a metallic top and hot pink tuxedo jacket, so new wave! Of course they look totally ridiculous twenty three years later, but back then they were high fashion.


It was fun to remember. But not enough to fork over the $39.99 for the reproduction.

No comments: