Thursday, May 13, 2010

5 Songs That Get My Motor Running

If you should pass me on the road some day and find me dancing, yelling and looking a bit nuts all while driving, chances are I am listening to one of these five songs:


1.  Fall Into Place - The Apartment

If I am ever having a day when things just aren't going right or perhaps if I have the blues, this is my go-to song.  The starting beat gets me dancing, without fail.  It is one of those songs that must be sung at the top of my lungs ... no matter how bad I may sound.
So penniless for a dream
It's not living in St. Tropez
But I wonder if what you wish for
Will fall into place

2.  Just Like Heaven - The Cure

This is another song that gets my head bopping and my shoulders rolling.  And perhaps it is because The Cure is an English band, but this song sounds better when sung with a British accent.  Even a bad British accent, which according to my husband I have. Even though the lead singer Robert Smith looks a bit like Edward Scissorhands and wears more eyeliner than I do, I just know I would be "spinning on that dizzy edge" if he sang this song to me.
Dancing in the deepest oceans
Twisting in the water
You're just like a dream

3.  This Is The Day - The The 

I've loved this song since the moment I heard it at the end of the movie, Empire Records.  You know, the part when all of the record shop employees are dancing on the rooftop after a very eventful day at work?  It's a pick-me-up song with uplifting lyrics and has a great beat. The accordion is a nice touch too.
You've been reading some old letters
You smile and think how much you've changed
All the money in the world
Couldn't bring back those days.

4.  Foux Du Fafa - Flight of the Conchords

A more recent addition to my favorites list, Flight of the Conchords provides me with a good laugh with their humorous and sometimes nonsensical lyrics.  While many of their songs are not appropriate for young ears, this song (sung entirely in French) is just fine.  Who wouldn't want to don their beret and yell out "pamplemousse", "Jacque Cousteau" and "voila mon passport" when driving to la supermarche!?
Et maintenant le voyage a la supermarche!
Le pamplemousse (grapefruit)
Ananas (pineapple)
Jus d’orange
Boeuf
Soup du jour

Le camembert
Jacque Cousteau

Baguettte

5. When Did Your Heart Go Missing - Rooney

This song has the best opening guitar riff - my head instinctively starts banging back and forth when I hear it.  The lyrics aren't particularly eloquent or inspiring, but it sure is fun to sing along to.  And it's just awesome that the band's name is Rooney!
I'm waiting, waiting for nothing
You're leaving, leaving me hanging
When did your heart go missing?
When did your heart go missing?

So that's my list of groovy tunes that I can't help but rock out to.  What songs get your motor running?

No comments: