Monday, October 18, 2010

How Not To Sell A House

Selling a house is difficult - especially in this market.  I keep hearing that more people are calling into realty offices and we have had a few tours of our home, but no proposals so far.  I suppose I shouldn't fret yet, it's only been on the market for a month.  But still my mind races with questions as to what are we might be doing wrong?  How can we make our home more appealing?  Why hasn't anyone made an offer yet?

It couldn't be that we have bad MLS photos of our house, after all I took them myself!  There was no way I wanted to list our house and rely on the photography skills of just anybody.  Have you seen some of the horrendous photos out there?  

Don't worry, I have examples:

Um, I don't even know what room this is supposed to be.  This is from a listing for a home priced at $259K!  You would think they could at least straighten up the room before photographing it.  Sheesh!

Nothing sells a piece of real estate like a detailed image of an asphalt driveway!  There were no pics of the interior of this $269K home, by the way.

Hint to sellers: Leaving EVERYTHING you own out on the counter is not a great way of giving the illusion of a spacious kitchen to potential buyers!

That's a good idea ... highlight (don't hide) the wrinkles in the carpet.

Seriously, I can't make this stuff up!  In addition, I have seen a photographer's reflection in the bathroom mirror, several out-of-focus shots, and televisions left on while photographing a room.  I am truly amazed by what a real estate agent will allow to go on a listing these days ... but it sure can be entertaining!

1 comment:

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

I know, unbelievable! I hope your home sells quickly.