Thursday, October 6, 2011

Fun Fall Fare

The other night we were having chicken tacos for dinner and I got to thinking that some tortilla chips and salsa would go nicely with it.  Except ... I had the salsa but no chips!  Then I remembered seeing an idea in a Martha Stewart magazine for making tortilla chips at home using cookie cutters.  What a great idea!
I rummaged through my drawers of cookie and cake decorating things and found a set of pumpkins and fall leaves that I thought would be perfect.  Then I put my daughter to work, cutting shapes out of the tortillas.  I used flour tortillas, but corn would be wonderful and would cook up crispier.  Martha's recipe called for putting the chips into the oven with olive oil and salt.  That would be a good healthy way, but who am I kidding ... I wanted them fried!  So I cooked them in a saute pan with some vegetable oil and sprinkled salt on them as soon as they came out of the pan.  So. good.
 My husband and I enjoyed them with some roasted tomato salsa and my kids ate them plain.  We all marveled at the cute little shapes, and I reveled in the glory of creating something so clever.

No comments: