Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Lone Little Apple Tree

When we first moved into our house, we wondered what kind of tree was growing in the middle of the backyard.  It is short (less than six feet) and with a trunk that is only about two inches in diameter.  My husband's first inclination was to take the tree out since it was planted in the most random spot in the yard and is a challenge to mow around, but we decided to hold off until we figured out what kind of tree it is.  Evidence confirms that it is an apple tree!
Apples have been growing on it since about mid-summer and they are weighing down one side of the tree.  To my untrained eye they look like little Gala apples.  Now if I can just figure out when I should pluck them from their branches, I might make a little apple tart from my harvest.


No comments: