Friday, August 8, 2008

Attack of the Fuzz

Let me just state the importance of routinely cleaning out your refrigerator. I have not been very diligent about that for various reasons: fatigue, busyness, lazyness, procrastination, and dread just to name a few. Yesterday my husband commented that it didn't smell very good when he went to get out some milk. He was right. It smelled like something had been in there too long and was probably covered in some kind of fuzz of several colors.

Today I finally found the strength and courage to tackle the unpleasant task. I emptied the first shelf and found that it wasn't too bad. I wiped down the shelf with soapy bleach water and carefully arranged the items that I put back. The second shelf was fine except for some cottage cheese which was obviously a few weeks past due. But the third shelf was the culprit. I found that a container of mascarpone cheese had been pushed back behind the milk and forgotton...for I don't know how long! Months at least! I won't go into the details of the smell and sight of this malodorous matter but let me just say, I am a lot more comfortable cleaning a funky toilet that dealing with old rancid food.

It didn't take too long and I feel very accomplished for having dealt with my fear of what was growing in the fridge. I would like to say that I will be much better about cleaning it out from now on, but who am I kidding? I probably won't.