Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Healthy Deliciousness

Health nut? Me? Not exactly. While I think that eating healthy is important, I also believe in the "everything in moderation" philosophy. I think it is okay to have an Oreo or two once in a while, but when it comes to my household staples I want to get the healthiest products for my family.

What child doesn't like macaroni and cheese? I have so many memories of eating it when I was a kid and lately as the weather has been cooling down I start to crave a box of Kraft. There is just something about the cheese powder that I love - it's probably all of the artificial ingredients! I recently picked up a couple boxes of Annie's Mac & Cheese from the health foods isle at the store. I made some for lunch yesterday and it is delicious! Pretty comparable to Kraft and it has all natural ingredients. Of course the two tablespoons of butter I added really made it good! Annie's also makes cereals and cheddar bunnies that taste just like goldfish crackers.


A favorite breakfast of my daughter and I is Nancy's Organic Vanilla Yogurt topped with super nutty granola. My daughter can't get enough of this stuff which surprises me because the yogurt isn't very sweet. Sometimes I will get the non-organic yogurt depending on the price, but the organic stuff has a creamier texture and tastes a little better. I really like that this yogurt is made in Oregon and is all natural.

I am not a huge snacker, but sometimes in the late afternoon I need a little energy. My mom introduced me to Larabars ... thank you Mom! I have only tried two flavors but these bars are so good they put Powerbar and even Cliff bars to shame. What is so great about them is that they are made with as few ingredients as possible. The Cherry Pie flavor only has three ingredients: dates, almonds and unsweetened cherries. They are dense so a half a bar will fill you up. My favorite is the Lemon Bar if anyone wants to know.

So while I love a good Oreo (and who knows what horrible artificial ingredients they put in those), it is good to know that there are some great products out there that are made with ingredients that God created. And they really are delicious!

2 comments:

heather said...

We are big fans of Annie's Mac and Cheese and Nancy's Yogurt! I haven't tried the Larabars-you have made me want to!

Kelly said...

I haven't figured out where to find the Larabars yet, but I hope to try other flavors like Coconut Cream Pie and Key Lime! Mmmmmmm.