Wednesday, November 5, 2008

First Lady Fashion

This election was an event for the history books - Barack Obama will be our 44th President and America's 1st black President. Whether you voted for him or not, and whether you are jazzed about his win or not, you have to admit that this election broke barriers and changed America forever.

Last night as I watched the coverage I was swept up with emotion. I thought that McCain gave an excellent speech that was respectful and gracious; and as Obama gave his victory speech I was struck by his eloquence and determination. But what really got a reaction out of me was something that is near and dear to my heart. An issue that I will look at closely for the next four years: The First Lady's wardrobe.

The Obama family was a vision in black and red on Election Day.

The first thing I said when I saw Mrs. Obama's dress was "why is she dressed up like a black widow spider?" I thought that perhaps this dress looks better up close. I thought maybe she is trying to be fashion forward and modern. But unfortunately this dress came across as looking a bit, for lack of a better word, predatory. It turns out I wasn't the only one who thought so.

This Narciso Rodriguez Spring 2009 dress was modified for Michelle Obama. Softer colors, or in shades of blue would have been beautiful and not so harsh.


So, while I think this dress was weird, it did peak my interest and I look forward to seeing what she has up her sleeve (no pun intended) for Inauguration Day.

No comments: