Thursday, November 6, 2008

It's Got Me In Stitches

I am jealous of those who can knit or crochet. I know a little bit of crochet but I am just not very good at it. I realize that it takes practice, but I feel that I have practiced a lot. My problem seems to be with keeping a consistent tension in the yarn. Even though I have yet to develop a gift in such an art, I love to look at different kinds of yarn and sewing projects.

Here is a great website that is both a retail store and a beautifully crafted site which is pleasing to the eye and inspiring. In fact, I am pretty sure I have heard of Purl on the Martha Stewart show ... so if it is up to her standards, it is up to mine.

I would love to make these:

This photo is featured on the Purl Bee blog and I don't know if it is the photograph, or the colors used in these fingerless gloves, but they are so charming I want to learn to knit just to make them.

The Purl Bee blog provides great project ideas - complete with amazing photographs - for knitting, crochet, and sewing projects. The Purl website is fun to explore because of the range of fabrics, yarns and tools. I think I need to develop some skills soon, because I often can't resist buying the materials to make such wonderful things .. and then they sit in my closet, untouched for weeks, months and yes, sometimes even years!

4 comments:

mkdeal@q.com said...

I LOVE to knit. It have been very addictive for me! I often purchase lovely fibers to make projects, and never get to them!

Kim

Kelly said...

I'm jealous! You are so good at it. I think it is great to have an ability to turn out something beautiful and give it as a gift, like you do.

My crochet abilities are shameful!

Zil said...

Is there a yarn shop there where you could take some knitting lessons?

Kelly said...

Yes, there is a yarn shop in town and I have been into it once. They have every kind of yarn you can think of! I know they do offer lessons and I'll have to sign up for one soon.