Monday, December 22, 2008

The Cure for the Snowy Day Blues

The snow is really coming down outside. I would like it a lot more if it didn't hinder my holiday plans. With severe weather hazards surrounding our town, it is not a good day to travel nearly 200 miles ... even to see family. On a day like this I feel like hibernating, burying my head deep down in the covers and dream of warmer days, sunnier places, and interesting things to see and do. But being a mom, I cannot do in good conscious do that.

So, a day like this is good for cooking, baking, and working on projects. It's actually really good for cleaning, but let's be realistic here ... who wants to do that? I like making nine-patch quilts for babies. I have made one for my son and daughter, and one for a friend's baby as well.

I made this Winnie the Pooh quilt for a friend's baby girl.


Now that I have a sewing machine that isn't dying on me (serves me right for using a cheap one I bought at a garage sale for $10), I can start up again. I have an old Bernina that my mother-in-law gave me that works so much better than the garage sale find! I love to explore fabrics, dream up great combinations of color, texture, and patterns. I was so excited when I happened upon this fabric in a sewing shop in Ashland, Oregon. Heather Ross creates fabric that is so soft and fun, it would be hard to choose what fabric I want to work with!


I adore the goldfish! They have such sweet and comical faces.

Oceanic themes are a favorite of mine. I've always had a thing for sea horses and mermaids. I guess I have a thing for orange and blue too!

Heather Ross's website is worth checking out if you are looking for good children's fabric. If you are a website connoisseur like me, the site is a visual treat ... however, the links don't all work very quickly or work at all. I can think of many ways to get them up to par with the visual qualities of the site. A web designer always thinks that way I guess!

She has a beautiful blog as well full of great craft and sewing ideas. I now want to be a fabric designer, or a stationery designer, or one who owns cashmere goats and makes her own yarn. But, I am really more qualified to be a graphic designer. I guess I'll stick with that.

No comments: