Friday, December 26, 2008

History Repeats Itself

I remember getting an Easy Bake Oven from my uncle when I was seven years old. I was in Santa Fe, New Mexico visiting relatives and when I was at my great aunt Nana's house, there was a very large gift under the tree with my name on it.

1983 Easy Bake Oven. This is just about how I remember it.

It's funny how large boxes are so exciting when you are a kid and small boxes are more appealing when you are an adult.

Of course it was so thrilling to receive such a large and impressive gift. In fact, of all the gifts I received for Christmas as a child, that was probably one of the most memorable. It's not that I used it much or even really knew my uncle. I think it was the gathering of family, the snow, and being in the town in which I was born that made me remember it so much.

This year my daughter received an Easy Bake Oven from "Santa". She will have different memories associated with it - if any. It has been updated significantly since my model back in 1983, but still produces the same little cakes and brownies.


My little domestic diva, checking on her muffins.


Word to the wise: if a child offers you some blueberry muffins from the EBO, kindly except it, take a bite or two, then say you are pretty full and suggest that the baker enjoy the fruits of their hard labor ... they are really very disgusting!

1 comment:

Karen said...

Ashley has an Easy Bake Oven too! I think they are every girl's dream at some point in their life! The brownies Ashley used to make sound about as good as your blueberry muffins!