Friday, December 19, 2008

I'm Just NUTS For These Cookies!


Today as my town was showered with snow - and lots of it - I suddenly had the desire to make cookies. As I looked through my pantry I saw that I had coconut, white chocolate chips, oatmeal, toffee bits and of course the all-American favorite ... semi-sweet chocolate chips! My husband is not adventurous when it comes to cookies. He will have a chocolate chip cookie any day as long as I don't "experiment" with the recipe. Well, don't tell him, but I did just that.
Here is the modified recipe that I came up with today that produced the dreamiest cookies EVER! In fact, I am typing with one hand right now because my other hand is holding a cookie which I am enjoying. I mean eyes-rolling-back-into-my-head good.
Lets start with my secret ingredients (shhhh, don't tell my husband!)
1 cup whole pecans
2 Tbsp quick oats
In a food processor, pulse together the oats and the pecans to create a fine grind.

And now the cookie recipe:
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter (do not use margarine), softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
Heat oven to 375° F. In large mixer bowl, beat butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar and vanilla until creamy. Add eggs; beat well. Add pecan and oat mixture and blend. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to butter mixture, beating until blended. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop dough by spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely.

These cookies have a gooey and chewy texture. The pecans give it a richer flavor, but since they are so well blended you don't crunch down on big nut pieces. Santa will leave us something really good after we put these out for him on Christmas Eve!

1 comment:

heather said...

Wow! These sound yummy!