Monday, April 12, 2010

Solitary Confinement


I love my children so dearly. They bring me joy and new perspective as I watch them grow and learn and develop. However, living with chronic pain is often very taxing on not only my body, but my mind too. Simply put, sometimes I really need a break.

I am so incredibly blessed with a husband who understands my need for quiet and rest. This last weekend he took the kids (and the very energetic dog) to Meemaw and Boppa's house while I stayed behind.

I had as much silence as I wanted. I slept as long as I needed. And I bathed when I got around to it. I didn't once leave the house all weekend.
I read my book, caught up on some recorded shows, and even did some cleaning and laundry. And I did this all without panic, frustration or pressure. I think it is so easy as a mother and a woman to want to be everything to everyone (usually a self-imposed goal).

A guy I know once told me that he believes that a mother should ALWAYS want to be with her children. I wholeheartedly disagree! I believe a mother should always be there for her children and should always love and guide her children, but there is no shame in needing a little time away from the constant noise and energy.


As a result of my weekend of solitary confinement, I feel transformed. My head is clear, my energy is restored, and the enjoyment of being a mother and a wife has returned. And as I listen to my kids argue in the next room, I can honestly say that I am very happy to have my lovely family back home.

5 comments:

Christian @ Modobject at Home said...

I couldn't agree more... and I don't suffer from chronic pain. We all need a little time, a little space to breathe from time to time. You are very blessed to have a husband that understands your needs so well.

And, just as you had a lovely weekend I'm sure the kiddos and dog did too!

Beautiful tulips.

Kylie said...

so glad you were able to have a quiet weekend. those are much needed!

heather said...

Glad you were able to get refreshed. Those times are so necessary!

Lindsay said...

What a blessing! Kudos to Tyler for being so considerate. It sounds like it was needed and I'm sure well deserved. :)

Anna said...

I couldn't agree more. So glad you got a little time to just be.